Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Nullarbor Game Competition

I met with some fellow game developers last Friday. Amongst other things, we had a chat about the upcoming Nullarbor Game Competition being held at the GO3 Electronic Entertainment Expo in Perth, West Australia. Last year, my Krool Joolz entry game second. This year, I hope to do better :-)

GO3 is the sister event of the Tokyo Game Show. Apparently, _MTV Japan_ are covering GO3 and Nullabor. And did I mention Richard Garriott is coming?* Wow. My entry had better be good, the whole world is watching. And maybe even Richard Garriott. :-)

I've heard and read a lot of good things about a game development environment called Unity 3D. I'm seriously considering using it, but that means a costly dev license and a new mac. Perhaps I could find a local corporate sponsor... hmmm.

The alternative is either to grow my own engine again, or try an Open Source engine. Unfortunately, because so much brain time is involved in learning a new engine API, I really need to pick the right engine first... and I don't have much time, Nullabor is 4 months away.


* This is an unconfirmed rumour. There are however, many other famous names attending.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd heartily recommend Ogre. It's very flexible, the API is well thought out, and it's cross-platform.

http://www.ogre3d.org/

Also, if you can't be bothered to write your own wrapper layer in C++, there's always PyOgre.

Considering its power, it's all remarkably easy to use...

http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/PyOgre

Anonymous said...

Yet one more suggestions for a 3D engine. Check out Panda3D:

http://www.panda3d.org/

It's a free commerical 3D engnie currently being used for MMO development by Disney.

Popular Posts