Thursday, August 17, 2006

ATI Lighting is Bugged

I develop on a notebook which has an ATI X600 mobility video card. I'm using the latest ATI Linux drivers.

Every now and then, my lighting tests only show the ambient light value (usually (0.2,0.2,0.2,1.0) and ignore the diffuse and specular light parameters. The effect of this is that the entire scene is very dark, with no light effects at all. So, how do I fix this?

By tapping something on the keyboard.

Or clicking in the window.

This usually fixes the problem, until I click or tap again. I can do this a few times before the scene stays lit, or stays dark. I'm blaming the Linux video drivers, as this problem does not happen in windows.

Sigh.

My next notebook will use Nvidia.

1 comment:

Iven Stevens said...

Would be interesting to see if anyone has the same problem using a different Laptop manufacturer using the same graphics chipset.

Popular Posts